How to Make Delicious Shepherd’s Pie
Prepare the Filling
The filling is the heart of the shepherd’s pie, and it’s essential to get it right for a delicious outcome. Here’s how to make a savory, flavorful filling that will satisfy your taste buds:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add 1 chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 2 chopped carrots to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 pound of ground beef or lamb to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking up any large clumps with a spoon.
- Drain any excess fat from the skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of beef or chicken broth and 1 cup of frozen peas. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Taste the filling and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Your delicious filling is now ready to be added to the pie dish!
Make the Mashed Potato Topping
The mashed potato topping is the perfect complement to the savory filling in a shepherd’s pie. Here’s how to make a creamy and delicious topping that will be the perfect finishing touch:
- Peel and chop 2 pounds of potatoes into small chunks.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover them by an inch.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the potatoes until they are fork-tender, which should take around 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the pot.
- Use a potato masher or a hand mixer to mash the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy.
- Taste the mashed potatoes and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Your delicious mashed potato topping is now ready to be added to the shepherd’s pie!
Assemble and Bake the Pie
Now that you have prepared the filling and the mashed potato topping, it’s time to assemble the shepherd’s pie and bake it to perfection. Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease a 9×13 inch (23×33 cm) baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Spread the prepared filling evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spoon the mashed potato topping over the filling, using a spatula to spread it evenly and make decorative swirls.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove the shepherd’s pie from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Your delicious shepherd’s pie is now ready to be enjoyed!
Serve and Enjoy!
The best part about making a shepherd’s pie is getting to enjoy it with your loved ones. Here are some tips on serving and enjoying your delicious homemade dish:
- Cut the shepherd’s pie into portions with a sharp knife or spatula.
- Serve hot with a side of steamed vegetables or a fresh salad.
- Sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley or chives on top for a pop of color and flavor.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat the leftovers in the microwave or oven until heated through before serving.
Enjoy your delicious shepherd’s pie with your family and friends, and savor the flavors of this classic comfort food!
Gather Ingredients and Equipment
Before you start making your shepherd’s pie, it’s important to gather all the necessary ingredients and equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Large skillet
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Large pot
- Potato masher or hand mixer
- 9×13 inch (23×33 cm) baking dish
- Sharp knife or spatula
Make sure you have all the ingredients and equipment before you start cooking to make the process smoother and more enjoyable. Happy cooking!